Saturday, June 5, 2021

The Meteorological Pilgrimage

I woke up to mountains, and descended across Lake Michigan this afternoon. Home sweet home. My pup is sleeping in his crate, the little pets are bedded down for the night, and I'll be in my very own bed quite soon. We all know the adage; good to leave, good to come home. I won't miss the Texan convenience food definition of a salad, but I will miss not having to do dishes.

The flight home was uneventful, and I'm happy to say that my trip was bookended by family time upon arrival and before departure, making the case for me to spend more time in Denver (love to Danielle and Alex, and Bebe!). 

I did a lot of musing on the plane. The first chase trip was a test of my mettle; embarking upon an adventure into the unknown with two dozen strangers. The second chase trip was a triumph- just 5 other guests, my first brief tornado, my childhood dream come true. What was this trip, my lucky charm of an adventure with 2 tornadoes, a gorgeous New Mexico storm, and some great new friends?

The third trip was a pilgrimage, an affirmation. I saw unadulterated nature spinning over scrubby land with semi trucks speeding by, honking their horns, the sound of thunder in the distance. The howls and cheers of elation when Roger saw the first tornado on our Ft. Stockton storm, the celebratory margaritas that came afterwards. The shirt I've worn on both tornado days proclaims: I just want to drink wine, save animals, and take naps. I was spiritually fulfilled by this trip. I had already seen my dream-come-true tornado in 2018. There was less pressure to succeed this time, and more to gain.

When I left for my 30th birthday trip 5 years ago, I didn't know what to expect. As I descended into O'Hare's familiar, chaotic, comforting space today, I knew what was to come: 35 will be the year I found my exotic animal rescue. 36- double chai, an auspicious number in Judaism, will be the year I start seriously researching my options surrounding the child/ren I have aspired to adopt since I was an adolescent. Major milestones, my life goals (just like seeing a tornado) affirmed on the prairies and plains and valleys of west Texas and New Mexico.

 I may yet dust off this blog once again in the future, if I decide to begin a new meteorological journey. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment