Thursday, June 3, 2021

The Wrong Kermit

Yesterday we returned to southwest Texas- in and around La Mesa and Kermit- to observe the storm action that initiated in the mid-to-late afternoon. Once again, these storms were more lookers than doers- no tornadoes were anticipated, but the storm structure was great, and the group enjoyed a lightning show worth of nature's Fourth of July.

Since I don't have a camera or intend to invest in associated equipment, I don't have any lightning shots- but my tourmates hit the jackpot with some incredible photos. I lug my binoculars out at every stop, looking for avian life instead, and am content.


 As we departed Kermit, TX (named for Kermit Roosevelt, son of Teddy- not the chipper green frog I was hoping for) to return to Lubbock, the decaying storms gave us a beautiful light show, interacting with the sunset in a gorgeous way that photos just can't capture. With our chase days complete, we are headed up to Amarillo tonight (I knew I'd end up in Amarillo eventually!) to the Big Texan, where I will have the chance to reunite with a margarita so good I remember it with fondness, 5 years later. It comes with a jalapeno garnish and a Texas flag on a toothpick, so it's legit. Tomorrow I imagine we'll be meandering back towards Denver, to bring this trip to a close.
What I love about my third tour- beyond the incredible weather we have experienced- is the group. Instant friendship happened with several chase buddies, and at one point another tripmate said to me last night, "we should take a picture with the cool kids before the end of the tour, right?" HEY, I'm a cool kid! I agreed, of course- naturally.
 

1 comment: