Wednesday, June 2, 2021

New Mexico Never Disappoints

I first set foot in New Mexico 5 years ago to hike Capulin National Monument on my first chase trip, and as Sunday's chase proved- the Land of Enchantment never disappoints. Yesterday's storms were lookers as opposed to doers, but the group was treated to a high base supercell set in a gorgeous vista. 

The storm formed with the anvil shape and pronounced base typical of the storms we like to see, but the base was too high to produce a wall cloud or tornadic activity. No worries! We disembarked the vans in a valley amongst sporadic, free-roaming herds of cows. I brought out my binoculars and sighted my first ever black-throated sparrow, along with lots of common nighthawks- a species we have at home in Chicago. Locating the source of birdsong with distant thunder in the background was fabulous! We watched our steps carefully in unfamiliar country; no cacti, snakes, or fire ant encounters for this city chick!



I'm particularly pleased with the panoramic view of this storm; it shows how the storm and the terrain in New Mexico compliment each other.

We drove back to Lubbock afterwards, and I've enjoyed a leisurely morning with a workout and time to relax. The environment looks more favorable for storms today, and our target is relatively local. I believe today will be the last chase day of the trip before an inactive severe weather pattern sets in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment