Saturday, June 8, 2024

I don't know anything about Minneapolis

Welcome back to the Storm Chasing Mermaid, 2024 edition!

So much has changed in the past 3 years- something I'm sure anyone could attest to in this day and age. First and foremost, this year I'm not chasing with old reliable Silver Lining Tours- I'm out this week with my local chase partner, Tim, who has meteorology and forecasting experience, a ham radio license, and excellent taste in music and automobiles. We've been chase partners for several years, although our opportunity to storm chase local to Chicago has been limited. This trip has been in our calendars for about a year- and now it's finally here!

The aspiration when one chases later in the severe weather season is to be in the northern plains, once the weather pattern shifts from places like Texas and Oklahoma. I've never been to the Dakotas, and places like Wyoming and Montana can produce beautiful storms that straddle the Rockies, creating breathtaking skies over incomparable vistas. 

That's why we're in Minneapolis- it's a great jumping off point for the northern plains.

I confess that don't know a single thing about Minneapolis. 

Minnesota is pretty much a big blank in my mind; what I do know is that when I was a kid International Falls, MN was consistently the coldest place in the country featured on The Weather Channel's lower 48 states map. I hope to learn something more during our stay, although I don't know how long we'll be here, or what's going to happen tomorrow- that's the beauty of storm chasing, after all. For someone who experiences a rather regimented routine, this lack of foreknowledge could be anxiety inducing; I find relief in taking a break from being a planner. Tim will call the meteorological shots, and I'll take care of other logistics, like find lodging (although we're splitting such expenses, of course). He wants affordable hotels with hot breakfast, I want affordable hotels with a work out room. I think both of these things are doable for the most part. 

We'll be gallivanting across America for the next week, and if the weather doesn't cooperate then there are birds to see, new places to experience, and perhaps even familiar faces. Look for new blog updates every day (unless we have a VERY late chase day/night, in which case I'll be a day behind). Adventure is out there!


No comments:

Post a Comment