Sunday, June 9, 2024

CORNGRATULATIONS! It's South Dakota!

 No joke, we did see a sign today that said "CORNGRATULATIONS!" Something about a corn palace. The world's only corn palace. We did not stop there; I'm sure it couldn't compare with The Mars Cheese Castle in Wisconsin. I am drinking a Spotted Cow (a beer from Wisconsin), so there's that. 


 Today was an easy day; another repositioning day. We drove ~6 hours from Minneapolis to Chamberlain, SD. Parts of the drive definitely reminded me of driving in Vermont, especially the parts of Minnesota where we weren't on the interstate. It's a pretty part of the country, and I'm grateful for these relatively leisurely days in advance of potential chase days tomorrow and/or Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday. As any veteran storm chaser will tell you, there is a lot of waiting involved- and waiting in a nice spot with a good book still sounds like a vacation to me!

Of course, while the road may be pretty straightforward, the road back home is a little bumpy. When I last wrote in this blog- in 2021- there was something big on the horizon for me, and I'm grateful and humbled that it has gained so much momentum in 3 years. Chicagoland Exotic Animal Rescue (CLEAR) is my new baby, and we're hovering near 200 exotic animal rescues in the 4 years since I rescued my first parakeet! It's wild! As I type, I'm facilitating a stray cockatiel found in the Logan Square neighborhood with the help of some amazing board members and volunteers. We're a state licensed 501(c)3 nonprofit animal rescue, and even if I am on vacation, I'm still thrilled to manage our population from a distance. Much like storm chasing, rescuing animals is way better as a team.

 Hopefully tomorrow will be an eventful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment