Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Day 3: Palo Duro Canyon

As an optimist, I think it's impossible to feel berefit at the lack of severe weather. Although this is a storm chasing tour, there are bound to be days like these, and we are making the best of it. I look at it this way- I'm getting to see parts of the country I'd never see otherwise with an excellent group of people, and a lack of destructive storms means more time for Portlight Strategies to prepare for when disaster does strike.

Today Roger took us to a park outside of Amarillo, Palo Duro canyon. It was unlike anywhere else I've ever been before- I'm a mermaid, give me a beach over desert scrub any day...or so I thought.



We arrived at the visitor's center before splitting off into groups to go hiking according to preference- I decided on a ~3 mile hike with several of the others. I saw several new species of bird (which I haven't had the time to ID yet, alas!) and two species of lizard. It was breezy and warm, around 80*, and there wasn't much shade. It took us a couple of hours, and it was simply a stunning experience. I felt immensely humbled by the scenery.



Now that I've cleaned up and had some time to relax, we're off to the Big Texan for some Lone Star steak. I think we've earned it!

2 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled for you: unexpected discoveries...what a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thrilled for you: unexpected discoveries...what a gift!

    ReplyDelete