Monday, May 2, 2016

Day 1: OKC-Del Rio, TX-Sonora, TX

Man oh man, we just drove ~800 miles in 16 hours. I am happily ensconced in my hotel room here in Sonora, and it's just before midnight central time.

We departed OKC at 8a.m. and drove south to Del Rio, TX with intermittant stops along the way (shout out to my associates at CPA- who'd ever think that I'd end up in Del Rio?). Around 4p.m. a supercell thunderstorm formed just west of the Mexico/US border at Acuna, and as it slowly meandered east it weakened into several different storm structures. We followed the southernmost storm for a little while until it decayed and Roger called it a day.

Although there was only a 2% tornado probability today, Roger brought us to the action, and it was positively thrilling to be around other people who were just as excited about the storm's structure on radar. Some tripmates took great pictures of the lightning associated with this storm as well.

An added bonus for me comes in form of birdwatching- as an avid birder, I heard unfamiliar birdsong every time we pulled over to view the storm, and my binoculars will come in handy both meteorologically and ornithologically speaking!

After dinner in some small South Texas town, we drove 2.5 hours to Sonora. It is now after midnight, and I'm incredibly grateful that the call for tomorrow isn't until 11a.m. We will be heading to a state I've never been to before (!) to spend a day or two in green/non-chase mode until the atmopshere reboots.

 Approaching the storm from the east
 With the approach of the storm, the
 landscape seemed positively tempestuous
Inflow into one of the storms

1 comment: