Friday, May 11, 2018

Rituals and Blessings

I was up at 5:30 this morning. I didn't mean to be, and my 11-year-old standard schnauzer, Libby, was quite perturbed by my early morning activities. I maneuvered my suitcase and piles of clothing and equipment around Libby's curled up form on my bed, and she looked at me with concern. Schnauzers are smart- they know suitcases mean upheaval of some kind.

If only Toto had been a schnauzer
Yesterday afternoon I received an email from Silver Lining Tours that made me positively weak in the knees with excitement: Caryn told the other three mini-tour attendees and I that if we arrive in Oklahoma City early enough, we can join her for a chase right off the bat! Most SLT tours begin on the day after arrival- this gives guests enough time to get settled, attend orientation, and meet the other guests. I land in OKC at 10:20 tomorrow morning (fingers crossed!) and if everything goes according to plan, it looks like I'll be able to get in an extra day of chasing! I was thrilled to see that we will be meeting up with Roger's tour group as well. 

Last night almost a dozen friends and I partook in what has become one of my pre-chase trip rituals: dark 'n stormy cocktails and a viewing of Twister. We tore the 22-year-old movie apart with affectionate, acerbic glee and I reveled in celebrating this impending journey with my amazing friends. One friend even gave me a hardcover copy of the new book about Tim Samaras, which I might save for after my trip so as to prolong the experience.

One of the most profound changes in my life since my first chase trip in 2016 occurred when I accepted a position as the director of operations at a synagogue in my neighborhood- a block from where I live. It's truly my unanticipated dream job. I have the great fortune to work with some amazing colleagues, volunteers, and congregants. The ability to support my community on a daily basis has been a continual source of fulfillment and great joy. This evening I'll be working our monthly Share Shabbat dinner for 100+ attendees, and our rabbi has offered to bless my impending travels alongside those joining him on a trip abroad in a couple of weeks. It's humbling to be a part of an organizational culture where my personally significant childhood dream is acknowledged. I had a congregant come up to me at the grocery store the other day, and the first thing he said was: "you're going to chase tornadoes?" I was delighted!

Between dark 'n stormy cocktails, Twister, and Share Shabbat I feel like I'm embarking upon this adventure in proper fashion. Libby will go off to my mother's tonight, and I have to be up at 5 tomorrow morning to drop my car off in Skokie so I can get a ride to the airport from my dad (mad props to my parents for pet care and car rides). 

I don't know where I'll be at this time tomorrow, or when I'll have a chance to post about my first day of chasing, but stay tuned for a new post every day through next Friday. I guess I'll say it- I'm off to see the wizard!

Mood: Shpilkes!
Music: Scream & Shout, Will.I.Am


No comments:

Post a Comment